BArch from Carnegie-Mellon University and an MArch from the University of Oregon.
Thomas C. Hubka is a Professor Emeritus in the Department of Architecture at the School of Architecture, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Hubka has taught architecture at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for over twenty years where he has published widely on topics of vernacular or popular architecture including theoretical works and detailed studies of common buildings such as New England farms, bungalows, ranch houses, and workers’ cottages. He is currently working on a book about the transformation of American housing and domesticity in dwellings such as workers' cottages, bungalows, and duplexes from 1900-1930. His overall scholarly work has recently been recognized by the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee through the receipt of the 2007 Graduate School/UWM Foundation Research Award.
Hubka has been recognized for his study of 18th Century, Polish wooden synagogues culminating in the book, Resplendent Synagogue: Architecture and Worship in an Eighteenth Century Polish Community (Brandeis University Press and The University Press of New England, 2003), for which he received the Henry Glassie Award from the Vernacular Architectural Forum and an award from the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies. His initial research on New England farm architecture resulted in the book, Big House, Little House, Back House, Barn: The Connected Farm Buildings of New England (University Press of New England, 1984), for which he received the Abbot Lowell Cummings Award from the Vernacular Architecture Forum.
Through almost forty years of teaching he has attempted to link the practice and teaching of architecture to historical and cultural context. His research and publications in material-cultural studies of architecture have received wide recognition and awards and have set a high standard for the interpretation of architecture in historic/cultural context. Teaches occasional offerings.