Digital tools are necessary for all landscape architects. The Department requires all students to have unlimited access to their own laptop computer. Laptops may be either a PC or Apple MacBook Pro model. Students using Apple computers will also be required to purchase a Windows license and install it via Bootcamp to run AutoCAD. Students should also consider purchasing an external monitor for extended screen real estate.
Because of the professional application of complex graphic programs and very large data files for most course work, the department's computer requirements exceed the average user’s computing needs.
College of Design Technology Services provides information on recommended and supported systems in their Student Computer Purchasing Guide.
We encourage all students required to buy a computer to return a "Plan to Purchase" form to the Office of Financial Aid. You can find this form in the Student Computer Purchasing Guide on the College of Design Technology Services blog. Forms are also available in your department office. The computer requirement may increase your financial aid eligibility. If you are not eligible for financial aid but need to borrow money in order to purchase your computer, you are encouraged to discuss loan possibilities with a financial aid counselor.
- Contact the Office of Financial Aid at 1-800-760-6953 or 541-346-3221. Students who are normally not eligible for financial aid may qualify with the additional cost of the required computer equipment.
- Consumer loans are available through banks and credit unions.
- Leasing options are available through some computer retailers.
- Apple offers income/credit based loans to qualified purchasers. There is no charge for pre-approval. Call the Apple Loan Program at 1-800-277-5356.
In addition to purchasing computer hardware and software, landscape architecture students will need to purchase various studio supplies and materials. These may include, but are not limited to:
- pencils, pens, paper, and other drawing/painting instruments and media
- model-making instruments and materials
- sketchbooks and notebooks
While there is no universal list of studio supplies and materials that students are required to purchase before beginning their degree, these supplies and materials will be required or recommended by faculty on a course-by-course and assignment-by-assignment basis. Students should expect to spend several hundred dollars on studio supplies and materials per year.