- Application Available for Fall Admission: September 15, for the following academic year
- Application Deadline: January 4
Late applications may be accepted on a space-available basis through May 3.
- Departmental Application Fee: $35 USD
- Application Decision: Decision letters will be emailed mid-February.
(Note: If the application deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the following day.)
Prospective students must either have:
- previously completed a professional degree in landscape architecture or architecture (BLA, MLA, BArch or MArch), or
- hold a master's degree (e.g., MA or MS) in a related and/or relevant field and show clear evidence of academic experience and goals suitably aligned with landscape architecture
A record of demonstrated research is an important admission criterion for all applicants. In particular, a clear capacity for and commitment to research will be strongly considered in admissions.
We strongly recommend that you contact the faculty member(s) with whom you are most interested in working well in advance of submitting your application.
Prior to admission, our department will establish whether there is a sufficient match between your scholarly goals and aspirations with the skills, interests, and availability of at least one faculty member who would be willing to serve as provisional major advisor.
Before beginning your application, please read the PhD program handbook. It provides you with a sense of the timeline and requirements for graduation with a doctoral degree in landscape architecture at the University of Oregon. You can also view completed Landscape Architecture PhD dissertations and MLA theses.
The application process consists of two parts:
- Apply to the UO Division of Graduate Studies (Grad Application)
- Apply to the Department of Landscape Architecture (SlideRoom Application)
Apply to the University of Oregon Division of Graduate Studies via GradWeb.
The Division of Graduate Studies offers graduate application fee waivers for applicants who meet specific criteria, as outlined on the Grad School’s UO application fee waiver page.
Degree Transcripts: Send official degree transcripts to the UO Office of the Registrar.
- Follow the Division of Graduate Studies' application procedures for international applicants.
- If an international applicant is offered admission, the International Student and Scholar Services oversees the financial verification process.
- Send official English language proficiency score reports to UO Admissions.
- The UO online application may require official transcripts and English Language competency for non-native English speakers. If your native language is not English, you must prove English proficiency to UO Admissions and the School of Architecture & Environment. There are multiple options for proving English proficiency. Review the UO Division of Graduate Studies' Minimum English Proficiency Requirements. The Department of Landscape Architecture's preferred minimum language proficiency requirements are as follows:
- IBT TOEFL = 94
- PBT TOEFL = 587
- IELTS = 7.0
Apply to the Department of Landscape Architecture via SlideRoom.
The Slideroom application saves your application as you work, so you may login and update as necessary until you are ready to submit. Once you submit, you will not be able to edit your application.
Application elements include:
Personal Statement: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Writing Sample: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Vitae or Resume: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Transcripts: Upload a PDF copy of all of your English transcripts and degree certificates.
GRE Test Results: GRE test results need to be uploaded to the SlideRoom application. Official GRE test scores must be sent to the University of Oregon, Institutional Code 4846, Department Code 4405.
Three Recommendations: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Portfolio: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Non-native English speakers need to meet the UO Division of Graduate Studies’ language proficiency requirements and the Department of Landscape Architecture’s minimum requirements.
Once admitted to the program, a deposit of $500 will be required of all incoming students.
Need help with your SlideRoom application? Visit the SlideRoom Applicant Help Center.
Questions: For questions about the program or for more information, please contact us at email@example.com or 541-346-1740.