The Minor in Architecture exposes students to fundamental principles of architecture through coursework that integrates design thinking, place making with human behavior and need.
Degree Requirements (26 Credits Minimum)
- Subject Area (Non-Studio): 4 credits
- Architectural Design (Studio): 6 credits (for Interior Architecture or Landscape Architecture majors only)
- Subject Area Electives: 16 credits for architecture/interior architecture majors, 22 credits for nonmajors
Subject Area (Non-Studio) Requirements (4 credits)
ARCH 201 Introduction to Architecture
Architectural Design (Studio) Requirement (6 credits)
ARCH 484 Intermediate Architecture Studio
The studio requirement applies to Interior Architecture or Landscape Architecture majors only. Students outside of the Department of Architecture may not take studio courses, with the exception product design majors who are eligible to take studio after completing the introductory design studio sequence in their major.
Students outside of the Department of Architecture may not take studio courses, with the exception of landscape architecture and product design majors who are eligible to take studio after completing the introductory design studio sequence in their respective majors.
Subject Area Electives
For students majoring in architecture and interior architecture, 16 elective credits are required. For all other students, 22 elective credits are required.
ARCH 407 City Growth/Design
ARCH 408 Wrk HOPES Conference
ARCH 430 Architectural Contexts: Place and Culture
ARCH 440 Human Context of Design
ARCH 434 Vernacular Architecture
ARCH 435 Principles of Urban Design
ARCH 436 Theory of Urban Design I
ARCH 438 Housing Prototypes
ARCH 439 Minimal Dwelling
ARCH 449 Architectural Programming
ARCH 491 Environmental Control Systems I
ARCH 492 Environmental Control Systems II
ARH 314 Architectural History Survey (Prehistoric–Gothic)
ARH 315 Architectural History Survey (Renaissance–present)
It is possible to take other architecture courses and apply them to the minor with the permission of the instructor (Example: ARCH 407 seminars and ARCH 410 courses, or the ARCH 461/462 structures sequence for students who have appropriate prerequisites).
Architecture history (ARH) courses may be counted toward the minor: up to 8 credits for students within the Department of Architecture and up to 13 credits for students outside of the Department of Architecture. Courses besides ARH 314 or 315 may be taken once prerequisites are passed. Courses should be selected from the Department of Architecture’s list of ARH courses that fulfill the history requirement for architecture majors.
To Declare the Minor
- Download and print the Minor Application Form from this page.
- Meet with the department advisor to review the requirements and to secure their approval on the application form (Note: a statement of support from your major advisor must accompany the minor application form if you are majoring outside the School of Architecture & Environment.)
- Return your completed and signed form to the School of Architecture & Environment front office (Lawrence Hall 210).