New UO Students for the Fall Term
New UO students (students who have never attended or matriculated to the UO) must submit the UO admissions application for the fall term and any required supplemental information by the required fall term departmental deadlines. The option to apply to Architecture as a new UO student is only available on the UO application for the fall term. This means that students who apply to the university during any other term will not have the ability to be considered for admission to the BArch program. The option to apply to the program is NOT available on the winter, spring, or summer term UO application.
Please review the departmental deadlines, instructions for the Statement of Interest & Portfolio, transfer applicant information, the dual review process, and the dual admission notification information below.
Freshmen Departmental Deadlines for the UO application:
- Early Action Deadline: November 1
- Supporting Documents Deadline: November 15
- Regular Deadline: January 15
- Supporting Documents Deadline: February 15
Transfer Departmental Deadlines for the Fall Term UO Application:
- Priority Deadline: March 15
- Supporting Documents Deadline: April 15
By selecting a Bachelor of Architecture on the University of Oregon application for the fall term, applicants will gain access to the portion of the application that includes a place to provide two statements of interest responses and a website link to portfolio work for the major.
Statements of Interest (Required)
You will have the opportunity to provide two (2) statements describing your interests and experiences on the UO application when choosing to apply to this major. These statements are required.
Portfolio (Optional, but strongly encouraged)
A portfolio submission is strongly encouraged, but not required for students applying to Architecture on the UO application. If you do submit a portfolio, please include projects that will give us a sense of your creative potential. Applicants who have past studio experience are encouraged to submit examples of past work.
Although transfer students can apply to the University of Oregon every term, the Department of Architecture program review will only occur for completed fall term transfer applications received by March 15 (the university’s Transfer Early Notification Deadline) which also meets the April 15 deadline for supporting documents. Students seeking advanced placement need to apply and confirm supporting documents with UO Admissions by this date.
Transfer applicants who have a completed UO application submitted by March 15 and have met the April 15 supporting documents deadline are assured that they will receive a program admission decision, and if admitted, will also receive the necessary course equivalency evaluations to begin the Architecture program with advanced placement (where applicable) in the fall term. Therefore, transfer applicants need to send all of their college or university transcripts to UO Admissions in preparation for the transfer course evaluation process. See more information for Fall term UG Transfer Applicants here.
Visit the Prospective Transfer Student page for more detailed information regarding the admissions and credit evaluation process and timeline.
Two (2) Review Processes:
There are two phases of review for applicants who want to pursue a major in Architecture at the University of Oregon:
- UO Admission completes its review of applicants for acceptance to the University of Oregon (UO)
- Applicants who have been extended an acceptance offer to the UO by UO Admissions are then forwarded to the Department of Architecture for a second review by the department to be considered for admission to the program as an Architecture major. If you are admitted to the University and have indicated that you want to major in Architecture, your UO application will be forwarded to departmental review automatically
- Some applicants may receive a wait-listed notification with their application review
Two (2) Admission Notifications:
There are two admission decision notifications sent to applicants:
- Applicants will first receive a UO decision notification from UO Admissions specific to admission to the University of Oregon
- Applicants will later receive a second, SEPARATE, admission decision notification specific to admission to the Department of Architecture
Departmental Admission Notifications:
Applicants who met the departmental deadlines for submitting the UO application and supporting documents can expect to receive a separate email notification from UO Admissions regarding admission to the architecture major as noted below:
- Early Action applicants will typically receive a departmental decision by the end of December
- Regular fall applicants will typically receive a departmental decision by the end of April
- Transfer applicants will typically receive a departmental decision by the end of May
- Wait-listed applicants will typically receive a departmental decision by the end of June
To check on the status of departmental notifications, contact UO Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about admissions can be found at UO Admissions.
Questions? Contact UO Admissions
Students who have attended and matriculated to the UO in any term are no longer considered “New UO Students” by UO Admissions and need to refer to the departmental winter term application instructions below for current UO students.
APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR THE WINTER TERM | Program Full
Current UO Students for the Winter Term (space-available program)
Undergraduate UO admits who matriculate to the UO and who register for either Arch 201 (for architecture) or Arch 201 or IARC 204 (for interior architecture) with passing grades in the fall term can usually apply to the winter term if there is space available in the program. If the programs are full because of the incoming class, the winter term programs will be closed to new applications.
Both programs are currently full and therefore, applications for the winter term for architecture (BArch) or interior architecture (BIArch) are NOT available.
Some options for you to consider in your academic path: (1) You can minor in architecture or interior architecture by meeting with a College of Design Student Services academic advisor, (2) You can enroll in the undergraduate Landscape Architecture program by meeting with an academic advisor in the College of Design at the Student Services office, (3) For academic advising on other undergraduate majors available in the College of Design, you can meet with an advisor in the College of Design Student Services office, (4) For academic advising on other undergraduate majors available at the University of Oregon, you can meet with an advisor in the UO Academic Advising office, or (5) You can consider completing an undergraduate degree in another discipline and apply to one of our graduate majors: