New UO Students for the Fall Term
There is no longer a separate departmental application for NEW UO students applying to the Bachelor of Architecture. New UO students only complete the UO application.
Fall Term Departmental Deadlines for the UO application:
- Early Action Application: November 1
- University Application: January 15
- Regular Deadline for Supporting Documents: February 1
- For Transfer Applicants:
- University Application: March 15
- Supporting Documents: April 1
Statement of Interest & Portfolio (optional): You will have the opportunity to make a statement describing your interest in selecting this major and/or to share examples of your creative work. The link you share may also include images or a portfolio of work that demonstrates your creative ability. You are strongly encouraged to submit a statement of interest even if you are unable to also include a portfolio. Applicants who have past studio experience are encouraged to submit examples of past work.
By selecting a Bachelor of Architecture on the University of Oregon application, applicants will gain access to the portion of the application that includes a place to provide a website link.
Transfer Applicants: Although transfer students can apply to the University of Oregon every term, the Department of Architecture program review will only occur for completed fall term transfer applications received by March 15 (the university’s Transfer Early Notification Deadline). Students seeking advanced placement are urged to apply by this date.
Transfer applicants who have a completed UO application submitted by March 15 are assured that they will receive a program admission decision, and if admitted, will also receive the necessary course equivalency evaluations to begin the Architecture program with advanced placement (where applicable) in the fall term. Therefore, transfer applicants need to send all of their college or university transcripts to UO Admissions in preparation for the transfer course evaluation process.
Review Process: There are two phases of review for applicants who want to pursue a major in Architecture at the University of Oregon.
- University admissions counselors complete their review of applicants for acceptance to the University.
- Applicants who have been extended an acceptance offer are then forwarded to the Department of Architecture for a second review by faculty to be considered for admission to the program as an Architecture major. If you are admitted to the University and have indicated that you want to major in Architecture, your UO application will be forwarded to departmental review automatically on your behalf. Some applicants may receive a wait-listed notification with their application review.
Departmental Admission Notifications: Applicants who met the departmental deadlines for submitting the UO application and supporting documents can expect to receive a separate email notification from the Department of Architecture regarding admission to its program as noted below:
- Early Action applicants will typically receive a program decision in January.
- Regular fall applicants will typically receive a program decision in April.
- Transfer applicants will typically receive a program decision in May.
To check on the status of departmental notifications, contact UO Admissions at email@example.com.
More information about admissions can be found at UO Admissions.
Questions? Contact UO Admissions
Current UO Students for the Winter Term
- Application Available: September 15
- Departmental Application Fee: $35 USD
- Winter Term Application Deadline: November 15
- Application Decision: Departmental decision notifications are generally emailed within 6 weeks of the application deadline. Paper copy admission letters are not sent out by the department.
(Note: If the application deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the following business day.)
Admissions requirements for the five-year Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) program reflect the focused, professional nature of the curriculum. Applicants need to present evidence of creative ability and commitment to the field of architecture, in addition to having strong academic credentials.
To apply to the department for the winter term, applicants must:
- Be admitted current students taking classes at the University of Oregon (UO)
- Be enrolled in or have a passing grade from previous credits in the ARCH 201 UO course. Winter 2022 Exception: Due to a larger than anticipated first-year class, students seeking to apply for Winter 2022 admission may find that they are unable to enroll in ARCH 201. In this case, the application requirement to be enrolled or have a previous passing grade in ARCH 201 will be waived. However, admitted applicants will be expected to register and pass ARCH 201 in the Fall term of 2022 to meet the requirements for studio placement.
Studio Placement for Winter Admits:
The Department of Architecture is unable to accommodate every accepted Winter applicant into the Winter first-year design studio sequence. Depending on capacity, some accepted Winter applicants will be slated to begin their design studio sequence the following academic year. These students would be considered Architecture majors, free to take any other required courses for the major, and would work directly with academic advisors to maximize their course of study in the meantime. Winter 2022 Update: Due to a larger than anticipated first-year class, ALL admitted Winter 2022 applicants will be slated to begin their first-year design studio sequence the following 2022-23 academic year.
Application Process for Winter Term: Currently Enrolled UO Students
Application Requirement: Current UO students who are enrolled (or have previous credit with a passing grade) in ARCH 201: Introduction to Architecture (fall term course).
Application Questions: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Resume: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Transcripts: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
SAT or ACT Test Scores (optional): Applicants have the option of submitting SAT or ACT scores; international applicants are exempt from reporting SAT or ACT scores.
Two Recommendations: Please refer to the departmental application for details.
Portfolio (optional): Please refer to the departmental application for details.
If English is not your native language, you will need to meet the full admissions requirements for English proficiency, as noted on the UO Admissions English Proficiency chart, to be eligible to apply. See the departmental application for further details.
Need help with your SlideRoom application? Visit the SlideRoom Applicant Help Center.
For questions about the winter term application, please contact the department at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 541-346-1740.